ODDLY Synonyms: 6 Synonyms & Antonyms for ODDLY
Can ask all types of general questions and can understand longer answers. The Language Level symbol shows a user’s proficiency in the languages they’re interested in. Setting your Language Level helps other users provide you with answers that aren’t too complex or too simple.
- A student who jumps to choose the first answer she thinks sounds plausible without really considering what it’s saying is is obviously going to have difficult doing well.
- I found it in a sealed jar, that, by chance, I supposed had been really hermetically sealed.
- According to the UK Google Ngram Viewer, in the United Kingdom “funnily enough” is significantly more popular than “funny enough”, and the gap has only grown larger in the past few years.
- The word “enough” is added to adjectives when you’re trying to convey the fact that something is sufficiently of a certain quality, in this case, how funny it is.
- Enough describes something as being adequate or sufficient.
- Saying as someone who has to bird near nudist beach from time to time.
Given the choice between word that clearly fits and a word that could mean anything, most people will choose the word that clearly fits. Please show me example sentences with Oddly enough . Oddly enough, there weren’t a lot of people there for whatever reason. They knew, as the ballot counts rolled in in real time, the odds in not one but three key swing states at any given moment, thanks to the “election needles” on the Times’s website. DisclaimerAll content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. Here’s a list of similar words from our thesaurus that you can use instead.
Cite this Entry
The simple medicine for people experiencing depression, oddly enough, the introduction of his food and sleep in clear mode. Look up any word in the dictionary offline, anytime, anywhere with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary app. Enough is an adjective that describes something that is adequate for an intended purpose. Enough is also used as an adverb to mean sufficiently or fully. Enough also has senses as a pronoun and an interjection.
- This is a very natural question, which, strangely enough, has remained unnoticed until now .
- The reporters, oddly enough, just happen to be sitting there in the line of fire with nothing better to do.
- Check out some of the words that were the bee’s knees—or should we say “berries”?
- Since I used some scientific-ish words or knowledge uncommon amongst most people, he asked what I was, .
- When you analyze the data, you discover the fact that for many decades, “funny enough” and “funnily enough” alternated their popularity spots, and that eventually in 1964 “funnily enough” became more popular.
- I said, I am not anything, I just always wonder what something is if I havent seen it before, and sometimes call the Museum or a government department where they find someone to answer my question, or look in books.
Now, I still think that for this box of matches to have escaped the wear of time for immemorial years was a strange, and for me, a most fortunate thing. Yet oddly enough I found here a far more unlikely substance, and that was camphor. I found it in a sealed jar, that, by chance, I supposed had been really hermetically sealed. I fancied at first the stuff was paraffin wax, and smashed the jar accordingly. I saw her at the gym the other day, funnily enough, which was very surprising to me at the time. I am interested in nature, but to me a naturalist is a Victorian term, someone like Thoreau. It sounds archaic, but seems to be acceptable in contemporary USA.
Compound Sentences with “oddly enough”
I said, I am not anything, I just always wonder what something is if I havent seen it before, and sometimes call the Museum or a government department where they find someone to answer my question, or look in books. The free dictionary by TranslateEN.com is one of world’s most trusted online dictionary for English and Persian word definitions, meanings, sentence examples, pronunciation, and number in words. Oddly enough, I wasn’t fully conscious of that weakness presented itself until I started writing dozens of sentence completions for my Sentence Completion Workbook (yes, oddly enough synonym that’s a shameless plug). The more time I spent analyzing how answer choices were constructed, though, the more I realized how those questions are set up to exploit students’ tendency to jump to conclusions before fully thinking things through. Words come in and out of vogue, and 90 years down the road, the words that you heard several times a day could very well have gone the way of these 10 words that are on the verge of becoming extinct. In fact, 90 to 100 years ago, the common slang terms were completely different from what we hear today—and often pretty funny!